Baked Spaetzle with onions
“Here is a great side dish! Spaetzle is a small dumpling . But this recipe takes it to a whole new place.”
Prep time: 1:00 Overall time: 1:30
6 to 8 servings scale / convert
1-1/2 cups flour. 3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black bepper.
3 eggs slightly beaten.
3/8 cup milk
2 cups shredded swiss cheese.
3 Tablespoons butter
1 md. onion, chopped
1. Sift the flour salt & pepper together in a large bowl.
Add the beaten eggs and the milk and mix until a smooth dough is formed.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium high heat..
3. Press the batter thorough a spaetzle maker into the boiling water. ( I use an old pie pan that I punched some small holes in and a spatula to press it thorough.) When the spaetzle floats to the top of the water, remove with a slotted spoon to oven proof dish. After the first layer of spaetzle, add a layer of swiss cheese. Continue layering until all the spaetzle and swiss cheese is used.
4. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.
5. Melt the butter in a large skillet over low heat. Add the chopped onions and cook until golden brown. Poue the onions over the now melted spaetzle and serve.
We were getting tired of pasta, potatoes and rice for side dishes. So I thought that I would try something new and came up with this. We have also made it with cheddar cheese and crumbled cooked bacon in it. You can put what ever you want into it.
Have you made it? What'd you think?
Log in to review this recipe.