Alaskan Frontier Sourdough Hotcakes
“A springy and flavorful pancake that you make overnight”
Prep time: 0:30 Overall time: 12:00
6 to 8 servings scale / convert
1 cup bubbly sourdough starter
2 cups lukewarm water
2-1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (and/or white)
2 Tbls Vegetable Oil
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1) In a large bowl combine sourdough starter, water, flour, and sugar. Cover and leave to ferment 8-12 hours
2) Beat eggs and add to batter with oil, salt, and baking soda*. Stir until batter is even
3) Brush with oil and heat cast-iron pan, griddle, or whatever you cook pancakes on
4) Ladle as much batter as you want and spread it out
5) When bubbles form, flip the hotcake
6) Flip and eat or stash in a warm oven
* You can beat the baking soda into 1 Tbsp water if you want to be all technical about it
This recipe is taken from "Wild Fermentation" by Sandor Ellix Katz, which is an awesome book about fermented foods. Buy it now.
If I have wheat and flour... I'll use 1 cup of wheat to 1 1/2 cup white.
Have you made it? What'd you think?
Log in to review this recipe.